Saturday, December 29, 2007

To Judge a Book--or--Avery is a Terrible Person

Most people have been told--at some point in their lives--not to judge a book by its cover. Whether the context is literal or figurative, the saying is rather familiar. Though I try my very best to refrain from judging books by their outer shell, I cannot say that I have been entirely victorious in that regard. You see, I have this nasty habit of judging books by their titles. For instance: I absolutely refused to read Libba Bray's book, Rebel Angels, because I considered the title to be absolutely awful*. I'd truly enjoyed the first book in the series(which happens to have an awesome title), but I just couldn't (initially) bring myself to read the second, because somewhere in my mind I feared that the book wouldn't be very good...because of its title. How very stupid of me.

The Sweet Far Thing came out. Then I realised that I really wanted to know what was going to happen to Gemma Doyle. And of course would have been absolutey inexcusable sin (For which I would be condemned to Special Hell...I simply would not be able to endure eternity with people who talk at the theatre. [Any Browncoats in the audience tonight...?] ) to skip the middle book and read the last. Not to mention it would be incredibly silly to never read a book that I wanted to read, merely becaused I hated the title. So I read it. And it was excellent. I loved it. (So much so that when Aislinn forgot to lend me her copy of The Sweet Far Thing, I rushed off to the bookshop to purchase it myself.)

So, as indicated by the title of this post, I feel like a terrible person. The fact that I judged something so hastily makes me hang my head in shame. Especially since I know that I'll likely do it again. Also, I do believe that it was I who eagerly pushed a copy of the first book in the series, A Great and Terrible Beauty, into Aislinn hands, ordering her to read. It shames me that she beat me to reading the final one...and to reviewing it. But that's another, more trivial matter entirely. The point is (Yes, there is a moral to the story. Please don't kill me.) that though it is sometimes awfully tempting to run for the hills when a badly titled book presents itself, I am beginning to see the error of my ways. And I hope that you, dear reader, shall learn from my mistakes. After all, beauty is found within (Ha! I have ended my post cheesily! This makes me happy!)

As always, learning...


*Meaning no disrespect to the author. Libba Bray is made of awesome! And the title makes more sense to me now that I've read the book.

8 comments:

The Whirlwinds said...

When I stop crying at your sudden beautification of a bad-cover faction I will leave a proper comment. You never cease to inspire Avery!

Bri said...

Don't worry Avery, I (sadly) judge books by their covers ALL THE TIME. Don't feel bad.

Aislinn Ai said...

HaHA! Or rather, HA! Hahaha HA!

I told you you'd like it.

Wait... when did you have time to but TSFT? I saw you last night. Ah, well. Now you can get your copy signed. Huzzah!

I judge books by their covers CONSTANTLY, so, you know.

-- Aislinn Ai

Yours Truly said...

After parting with you, my lovely mother rushed me off to the bookshop. Because she is made of awesome. I had to barrel my way through security, for it was practically closing time. But I emerged triumphant.
Ha. Nobody can keep me from my books.

Avery Trelaine

Alena said...

I have to admit that, no matter how bad of a person it makes me, I will never read the book "Vampirates". Though it's more the general concept of 'vampirates' I have a problem with, and not the title as such... still.

Unknown said...

Vampirates really wasn't that dreadful. I enjoyed the piracy most, but I'm obsessed with plundering and swashbuckling (amazing word) in general.

Anonymous said...

Alena, I agree with you... I remember seeing that book at the library and thinking "Vampires=awesome, pirates=awesome, vampirates=WTF..." It is an incredibly weird combination of two awesome things,and those don't always turn out so well... so I left it on the shelf...

Anonymous said...

Alena ... I tried vampirates just for the heck of it one afternoon, and will never ever ever touch that book again (or so much as look in its general direction). Im working on Little Grrl Lost right by Charles De Lint right now, has anyone else read it?